Saturday, March 30, 2013

Encountering Hugh


Yesterday I met a guy named Hugh. We stood at the center of the South helm of Union Square for about an hour and a half, talking about everything and nothing. Normally, if I'm walking down the street, and a guy taps me on the shoulder, and says, "I like your glasses," I simply say, "Thank you," and keep walking. I'm not quick to open my door. I don't allow people in that easily. This is mostly due to my inability to activate the trap door at the right time—before too much damage is done. But he was holding a booklet that appeared to be a self published work.  He said, "I didn't just stop you to comment on your glasses, although I like your earrings as well, but I was looking for people who looked like they could actually read." Had I not been, at that very moment, thinking about stopping at Forbidden Planet, to pick up some reading material for inspiration, I probably would have graciously and politely removed myself from the situation. But instead, I was excited and delighted that he came out of nowhere to offer exactly what I was looking for. And because his response was, "I guess that's the laws of attraction at work," this prompted a long discussion about the concept of the laws of attraction, among other things. Those other things included: martial arts, comic books, the judicial system, Meetup.com, and the film production industry.

I am so glad that he came along. My intention, when I began my walk from 34th street, was to take the bus home from the 1st stop on the line at 8th Street. That would give me time to knit and contemplate my weekend, without distraction. Along the way, I had started thinking about how much I wanted to write again. I started thinking about the story I wanted to write, and decided I wanted to first read something, from which I can draw inspiration. Because of the hour and a half long conversation we had, and receiving his book, I instead, ended up hiding in, as opposed to perusing the shelves of Forbidden Planet. I wandered around each book lined corner, attempting to thaw out my frozen hands and feet, before reluctantly taking the Subway home, in lieu of the bus.

I looked forward to reading Hugh's story, "The Chronicle Collection" by Luikane, and acting on some of the things we discussed. It's always a blessing and a treasure to share experiences with someone new.

PS:  Because my goal is to always focus on the positive things that enter my realm, I will ignore the book’s possibly falsified news paper reviews, on the last page, the shoddy binding system, misspelled author’s name, and the possibly fraudulent ISBN number. Yes, this may have been just a scam; A new way to avoid simply begging for money. A Requested donation for this small piece of literature is not so bad—is it? Although my soul just silently screamed blasphemy, upon my use of the term, “literature”, in reference to this document, I still maintain my positive outlook. I’m still going to take the gift I received and run with it. It doesn’t matter what his intentions were, all that matters is my response to them. Whatever the case, be the intent honorable, or not, what is truly real for me, is the impression I was left with after this encounter, and the motivation I now feel, to again immerse myself in the waters of the pool of literary wealth.  I thank the Universe for my encounter with Hugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment